Thursday, May 8, 2014

Galaxy Nails


These are the space themed nails I wore for my first shift as a volunteer at the science museum.

My poor nails have had a bad week. I ripped off the entire free edge (and a bit extra, ouch!) of the nail on my ring finger in a handbag rummaging incident and I'm still having problems with my index finger nail splitting along my old scar, so I'm keeping my nails ultra short until the most damaged areas of nail have grown out. In fact I've had to trim my nails even more since these photos were taken, so they really are nubbins now. Because I didn't have much space to work with I thought I'd keep my nail art simple. I've never attempted galaxy nails before, but they are so easy to do and I'm quite pleased with the way they came out although they photographed really badly.

I used one coat of black polish, Jess in shade Midnight, for the base followed by a coat of Jess Flash Harry, which is a holographic silver, red, blue and green glitter topper. Jess polishes are exclusive to Poundland and are currently my favourite budget polish brand.


I dabbed on a variety of other polishes using the corner of a makeup sponge to create a nebula effect. I used some of the polishes that my Mother-In-Law gave me on Monday, including a mystery shimmery red shade, Constance Carroll Waterfall (a pale green frost) and Avon Café Au Lait (a light shimmery bronze). I dabbed on a little more Flash Harry glitter in some areas then used used Maybelline Purple Aluminium, which although it looks blue in the bottle is actually a dark silver-flecked purple polish that I received as a Christmas gift about fifteen years ago and is still going strong, and Koh Phangan by Technic, which is a bright blue crelly, to subdue some of the areas where I had gone overboard with the glitter. I topped everything with a coat of Konad Special Top Coat.


Do you have any ideas or suggestions for nail art for very short nails?

4 comments:

  1. These looks amazing and very sci-fi like! Such a mix of colours so cool :-)

    Sorry can't help you with the nail art for short nails - I don't do it - but love seeing it on other people :-) I'm not creative or artistic enough or brave even!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cool! I love all the different coloured shimmer a lot =) I always think cute things look great on short nails - like, when you really paint cute animals or cartoon-y things like that :) But that's all that comes to mind right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those are so pretty! Definitely need to pair this mani up with some black milk!

    Gem | Hellbent for Lipstick

    ReplyDelete